70 YEARS OF SERVICE OUR LEGACY
Maner Hardware & Supply Company was founded in February 1951 by W.A. Maner and three associates. They purchased Jernigan Hardware Co. on Broad Street in Augusta, GA, adding gypsum wallboard and other building materials to the inventory. As the business grew and the area prospered, Maner purchased a site on Wrightsboro Rd in Augusta in 1955 and opened it as Maner Builders Supply Co. In 1961, a new investor joined W.A. Maner Jr. The business continued to prosper with growth from the Augusta area. In 1969, Bob McCrary and David Maner entered the business. McCrary purchased the former investors interest and David Maner began purchasing his father's interest.
In June 1970, the company purchased Slusky Building Supply from the estate of Moses Slusky. This business was located on Broad Street in Augusta, GA and specialized in commercial building products and chain link fence. Shortly afterwards, a new location was secured at 3717 Washington Road in Martinez, GA. The company purchased 10+ acres of farmland with access to a railroad siding and to Washington Road. The company consolidated the two existing Augusta locations in 1973 into a warehouse and retail store on this new land. This new location allowed Maner Builders Supply Company to expand its inventory and sales. Maner added lumber, other building materials, and grew its commercial and chain link fence divisions with more sales and installation projects.
A Gypsum Wallboard sales and delivery location was established in 1985 on the existing property. In 1986, Maner began to sell and distribute concrete block and accessories in an arrangement with Williams Brothers of Atlanta, GA. And after the Hurricane Hugo shock of 1989, Maner Builders Supply sent installers to the ravaged areas in an around Charleston, SC to do repair work. This effort would eventually lead to the establishment of a business in Charleston in 1990.
In 1994, Maner opened a complete Gypsum and Masonry Distribution Center approximately one block West of the main Augusta facility to better serve this important segment of its business. In 1998, Maner Builders Supply opened a warehouse and retail store in North Charleston, SC to serve the Fence and Commercial contractors in the area.
In 1998, after 29 years of operating the company, Bob McCrary and David Maner sold the company to five senior managers: Jerry Bigham, Jim Broome, Bert Harbin, Rob McCrary and William Wren.
Since acquiring the company, the new ownership has been committed to continue growing and diversifying the operation. In January 2006, the company made a decision to expand their presence to Aiken, SC and purchased property at 201 Old Airport Rd to support the Aiken market with a full service sales and delivery branch. In January 2007, the company completed the construction of a 30,000 square foot state of the art sales and warehouse facility at 3801 Martinez Blvd. This building supports the company’s Fence Division as well as the Construction & Industrial Sales Division.
In February 2012, Maner Builders Supply acquired a locally owned Glass company further diversifying its offering to the construction industry. Maner Custom Glass is an expert in Commercial and Residential Glass services in Georgia and South Carolina. Services provided are Design, Jobsite Inspection, Detailed Estimating, Project Management and Complete Installation using the areas most experienced crews. In August 2013, Maner Builders Supply decided to add a line of premium windows & doors and hired a dedicated sales and service team to support this category.